We’ve been on the cutting edge of the digital marketing business for over 20 years. During this time, we’ve have the opportunity to evaluate and improve thousands of websites. We see some businesses that are investing money in their online presence, but can never achieve any real success, and we wanted to share strategies for improvement. Below are the 4 most common issues that are preventing businesses from harvesting the fruits from their marketing efforts.
1. Ugly Web Design
As we all know, things have dramatically changed with SEO in the last 5 years. The focus has changed from manipulating the search engines to providing a great user experience. Connecting with your audience starts with the look of your site. The design should contain images, colors, and a general feeling that resonates with your demographic. This will ensure they feel comfortable and engaged during their session.
- Typography – The font and size of characters used throughout the content are very important. Customizing they typography according to your audience will ensure the messaging is easy to read and understand.
- Clean Logo– Your company logo is one of the first things users see when visiting your site. It should be appropriate to your industry and contain sharp colors. If you have an old logo from the 90s, it’s probably time to be revamped.
- Professional Photos – The images on your site paint a picture of your company. This is your chance to connect to your audience on a personal level. We highly recommend using clear imagery & photos to tell your company story.
2. Lack of Remarkable Content
Creating great content is the single most important thing you can do to improve your online footprint. Having a lack of remarkable content is the most common problem we see in failed digital marketing strategies. Google is looking to promote websites that have something meaningful to say. Its algorithm caters to domains that have a large index of quality pages.
- Content Optimization on Core Landing Pages – When we’re talking about content optimization, we mean a whole lot more than just changing the title and metas. We highly recommend customizing each page to educate the user and show your expertise. This can easily be done by creating a robust FAQ section.
- Start Blogging Like Your Life Depends On It – Content marketing is the most effective way to build new, targeted pages on your website. The blog is truly the backbone to all of your digital marketing efforts. When you create meaningful posts that answer people’s questions, it gives you excellent content to add to your social media profiles. Having a voice and being an industry leader gives people a solid reason to follow you and Facebook, Twitter, and the other networks.
- Educate Users with Expert Downloadables – High quality eBooks and infographics are great tools for showing your industry expertise. These can also work as great value propositions to help users convert into leads. We highly recommend leveraging content from your blog to help build the eBooks and other downloadable content.
3. No Calls to Action
Links, rankings, and traffic are usually a sign of good things to come, but the only metric that really matters is the number of new leads. In order to get users to give you a call or fill out a form, you have to present them with a call to action. Many times, users want something in exchange for their information. That’s where you need to think of a value proposition that will interest the user.
- Brainstorm What’s Important to Your Audience – Customizing your calls to action is one of the most important thing you can do to drive leads. If you are working in a B2B environment, you are going to want to offer some kind of educational material. This could be a high-quality eBook, case study, or infographic. If you are working in a retail setting offering some kind of promotion or discount would be appropriate.
- Create High Quality Landing Pages –It’s important to present your calls to action in the right light. We recommend creating landing pages specifically designed to convert the user. These should be used as the target destination for all paid campaigns. Creating clear, concise landing pages will drastically improve your website’s conversion rate.
- Use Top Quality Graphics – Hiring an experienced web designer can make all the difference for your marketing efforts. Make sure your calls to action are being presented with unique buttons and other images.
4. Un-nurtured Leads
Now that we have captured the user’s information, it’s time to nurture them into a converted lead. Building your companies credibility is one of the most important things you can do to drive new sales. This can be done through a series of emails that offer them educational material to show you are a leader in your industry.
- Sign Up for a Lead Nurturing Software –There are a wide range of quality lead nurturing software. If you are in a B2B industry and have significant resources, you might want to try Marketo. Their software is the most flexible with the most bells and whistles. However, it is quite complex and will need a dedicated specialist to build the lead nurturing tracks. If you are looking for something less expensive and complex, we recommend trying HubSpot or Infusionsoft. Lastly, if you are a small business looking to get started on lead nurturing at the lowest cost, we recommend you try MailChimp. It will give you the freedom you need to create basic nurturing paths with the lowest barrier to entry.
- Write Engaging Headlines in Mail Subject Lines – Writing good subject lines is a little bit of an art. This is the first thing the user is going to read, and it will be the main reason why they click into the email or send it to spam. We recommend being creative and testing a wide range of headlines.
Digital marketing is becoming ever more complex. The days of manipulating Google on your way to success are long gone. However, if you focus on quality design, having a strong voice, engaging calls to action, and lead nurturing, you are on your way to long-term, sustainable results!